Ok, so in one of my classes we were analyzing a literary work, and my teacher said something that very much made me go "WHAT?" Basically what was said by the teacher was that if you're being verbally hurt or abused in a marriage, that the proper way to handle it is to be mean and hurtful back to them. I was like, "What?! What happened to 'two wrongs don't make a right' and 'a soft answer turneth away wrath'?!" Ok, so here's my thing: If you're being verbally abused, by no means should you just let it continue. That's not ok, at all. But being hurtful back will just escalate the situation and make it worse. You should sit down with the person and confront them about, try to work it out maturely. If that doesn't work, get other people involved. Call a pastor, go to counseling, go the church, etc. Get help, is the point. I raised my hand in the discussion and respectfully gave my opinion on this. The teacher then proceeded to go on a rant about gossip in churches and pretty much dissed all counselors. Which if you know me, that upset me as I want to get a job as a professional counselor. I didn't say anything after that, but, wow, I couldn't believe she said that. And if you're church starts gossiping about you, that's a problem in the congregation, and should be dealt with. So yeah, I was really worked up about this and just wanted to get my thoughts out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment